Brief History of Barangay Bascaran
Barrio Bascaran was organized in 1893 during the administration of Domingo Logan, a gaddang leader; he was appointed governadorcillo of Solano (1892-1893).
The name “Bascaran” was given by the people in honor of Governor Angel Bascaran who approved of its organization and that Bario Bonfal, Bayombong sometime in 1893.
The first inhabitants of Bascaran were few gaddangs. They settled by the Western Banks of the Magat River, located at about 2 kilometers away from the center of Bascaran as early as 1745. However, they left the place in 1776; the Spaniards transferred them to Alicia Isabela, along with fellow Gaddangs gathered at Angadanan town. The said transfer left the place uninhabited until the Ilocanos from Ilocos, who started to migrate to Solano in 1853 onwards, arrived.
In 1763, Fr. Alejandro Vidal founded the town of Lumabang (now Solano): it was originally situated at Barrio Bintauan of Solano, now a Barangay of the Municipality of Villaverde, Nueva Vizcaya.
In 1850, Governor General Antonio Urbiztondo converted Lumabang (now Solano) into a mere Barrio of Bayombong because of the lack of residents and revenues to maintain itself.
In 1852, Governor Cillo Diego Lumicao undertook a trip to Bacarra, Ilocos Norte to invite Ilocanos to migrate to Lumabang in order to increase the latter’s population to entice them, he promised that they be given free pieces of land upon their arrival in Solano.
In 1853, the first wave of Ilocanos from Bacarra arrived; the promise was not broken.
In 1860, Governador General Ramon Solano returned the township status of Lumabang. As a gesture of gratitude, the gaddang elders and leaders of town changed the name of Lumabang to Solano. On April 25, 1863, the change of the name was officially declared. The new about free pieces of land granted to Ilocano migrants spread to other Ilocano towns; more Ilocanos arrived in Solano. This explains the scenario that Barangay of Solano.
In 1974, Barrio Bascaran was converted into Barangay by virtue of President Decree 557, which provided that all Barrios throughout the country be renamed as “Barangay’s”. As a result of this development, Bascaran became one of the twenty-two Barangays of Solano.
Bascaran has six (6) puroks and has a land area of 943,783 hectares of 6.75% of the total area of Solano which is 13,980 hectares. As of 2014, the barangay has a population of 3,673 representing 6.16% of the total population of Solano which is 59,602. As of July 30, 2015, Bascaran has voting population of 1,764 or 5.28% of the total voting population of Solano, which is 33,435.
During the American period, the Gabaldon Act of 1907 entitled Bascaran to one of the five (5) recipients of an Elementary Gabaldon Schoolhouse to be put up in Solano. It was in 1916 during the administration of town President Joaquin Alayu, a gaddang leader, when the wooden Gabaldon Schoolhouse in Bascaran was constructed; it was erected at Bascaran Elementary School compound. It is still functioning today; the School house is a Historical Heritage.
Bascaran has two (2) schools:
- Bascaran Elementary School
- Bascaran National High School.
List of Barangay Officials
Name and Designation
HON. FEDERICO V. ASUNCION
HON. VICTORIO R. PASCUA JR.
HON. ARMEL M. GALANG
HON. CARLITO B. GONZALES JR.
HON. RODOLFO A. PALACAY
HON. MEDY P. PARANES
HON. FROILAN B. SUMAWANG
HON. ROY D. PERALTA
HON. ELVIS ELEAZAR V. CADANGAN
MRS. MARY JANE P. ROSENDO
PERLITA P. DOMINGO