The first Spanish Missionary headed by a Dominican priest in the name of Father Alejandro Vidal, founded the municipality of Solano in 1767 which was then called “Lungabang” meaning cave in the Gaddang dialect. The name was later changed to “Lumabang” by the Spaniards for convenience.
In 1851, by Executive Order, Governor General Antonio Urbiztondo declared Lumabang as a barrio of Bayombong for not having sufficient inhabitants and revenue to maintain itself. Only in 1860 when Governor General Ramon Solano Y Llanderal authorized the separation of Lumabang as barrio of Bayombong, and later, its name was changed to Solano on April 25, 1863 to honor the Governor General.
The people’s lasting remembrance of the unparalleled wisdom of the late Father Juan Villaverde, who undertook the almost perfect planning of the town, is entangled with its history. The poblacion, as designed, consists of fourteen (14) wide streets, each having a width of twenty (20) meters arranged in parallel running from north to south and east to west forming a total number of 100 square blocks having an aggregate area of more or less one hectare per block.
The Spanish government in Solano ended in September 14, 1898 when it laid down its arms to the revolutionary forces. A brief Revolutionary Government was put up on September 17, 1898 under the command of Major Delfin Esquivel, which gave way to an election of local revolutionary officials. Solano then was under the American Government. The Commander of the American Troops in Nueva Vizcaya ordered the local revolutionary officials after taking oath of allegiance to the US, to continue their tenure of office until the military rule lasted in 1901. This was followed by a Civil Government until the establishment of the Commonwealth in 1940. Since then, regular election was conducted.